Appellate Litigation in New England
35+ Years of Dedicated Advocacy
Appellate advocacy requires a distinctive set of skills. The hallmark of a great appellate attorney is meticulous attention to detail, a firm grasp of the appellate record, a thorough understanding of existing case law, stellar writing skills, and the ability to effectively handle questions at oral argument. Melick & Porter, LLP brings these skills to every appeal that we handle for our clients. In addition, all our senior appellate attorneys have hundreds of combined years of experience in state and federal appeals courts. All these factors contribute to our record of appellate success for our clients.
How We Help
Sometimes, after a challenging trial or a disappointing outcome, it helps to seek a fresh perspective by employing new counsel to assist with or take charge of an appeal. Our appellate attorneys are available to fill that role for you and can bring new insights and energy to help you achieve your goals. We also understand that successful appellate advocacy begins long before a notice of appeal.
Our appellate attorneys can serve as a resource for you and, should review prove necessary, they can work on your behalf to ensure that a proper record is created and all essential arguments are preserved. Or, if you are looking for assistance with an amicus filing, we have the expertise to properly bring your interest before the court.
Cases We Appeal
Our team of professional litigators has succeeded time and time again in making appeals on behalf of our clients in need.
Areas where we can reexamine your case include:
- Entertainment and sports
- General liability
- Hospitality and restaurant
- Insurance coverage
- Liquor liability
- Product liability
- Professional liability
- Recreational liability
- Sexual abuse litigation
- Toxic torts
- Transportation law
- Workers' comp
Some of our notable cases include:
- American Home Assur. Co. v. First Specialty Ins. Co., 73 Mass.App.Ct. 1 (2008) (trucking coverage)
- Amoah v. McKinney and Smith Transport, 875 F.3d 60 (2017) (trucking accident)
- Carr v. Howard, 426 Mass. 514 (1998) (medical peer review privilege)
- Coombes v. Florio, 450 Mass. 182 (2007) (medical malpractice claim brought by a non-patient)
- Fletcher v. Littleton, 68 Mass.App.Ct. 22 (2007) (wrongful death)
- Global NAPs, Inc. v. Federal Inc. Co., 336 F.3d 59 (2003) (malicious prosecution)
- HipSaver, Inc. v. Kiel, 464 Mass. 517 (2013) (commercial disparagement)
- Juliano v. Simpson, 461 Mass. 527 (2012) (liquor liability, duty of party host)
- LeBlanc v. Logan Hilton Joint Venture, et al., 463 Mass. 316 (2012) and 78 Mass.App.Ct. 699 (2011) (negligence claims against architect and engineer)
- Merrill v. Colbert, 79 Mass.App.Ct. 1124 (2011) (sexual relations between patient and therapist not covered by professional liability policy)
- Mitchell v. Sky Climber, 396 Mass. 629 (1986) (product liability)
- Morrissey v. New England Deaconess Assn., et al., 86 Mass.App.Ct. 1112 (2014) (indemnification under construction contract)
- Nevor v. Moneypenny Holdings, LLC, 842 F.3d 113 (2016) (admiralty)
- Newton v. Krasnigor, 404 Mass. 682 (1989) (intentional act exclusion)
- Panagakos v. Walsh, et al. 434 Mass. 353 (2001) (social host liability, duty to adult guest)
- Speers v. H.P. Hood, Inc., 22 Mass.App.Ct. 598 (1986) (indemnity agreements)
- Utica Mut. Ins. Co. v. Amity Ins. Agency, Inc., 84 Mass.App.Ct. 1111 (2013) (errors and omissions insurance)
- Woodward v. Emulex Corp., 714 F.3d 632 (1st Cir. 2013) (age discrimination)
- Young v. General Star Indem. Co., 84 Mass.App.Ct. 1112 (2013) (claim against insurance broker)
Just because your case was not successful the first time does not mean you do not have options. You can trust our lengthy track record and accomplished litigators.
Your case is not over after a disappointing court decision. Call our appellate lawyers at (617) 523-6200 to have us take another look at your case – you may be able to appeal the unfavorable decision.
Well-Qualified & Accomplished Firm
Nationally Recognized Super Lawyers®
Seasoned Litigators & Appellate Attorneys
High-End Legal Representation
Track Record Of Client Success