Appellate Litigation in New England
35+ Years of Dedicated Advocacy
Appellate advocacy requires a distinctive set of skills. The hallmark of a great appellate attorney is meticulous attention to detail, a firm grasp of the appellate record, a thorough understanding of existing case law, stellar writing skills, and the ability to effectively handle questions at oral argument. Melick & Porter, LLP brings these skills to every appeal that we handle for our clients. In addition, all our senior appellate attorneys have hundreds of combined years of experience in state and federal appeals courts. All these factors contribute to our record of appellate success for our clients.
Our appellate lawyers are proud to serve clients throughout New England.
How We Help
Sometimes, after a challenging trial or a disappointing outcome, it helps to seek a fresh perspective by employing new counsel to assist with or take charge of an appeal. Our appellate attorneys are available to fill that role for you and can bring new insights and energy to help you achieve your goals. We also understand that successful appellate advocacy begins long before a notice of appeal.
Our appellate attorneys can serve as a resource for you and, should review prove necessary, they can work on your behalf to ensure that a proper record is created and all essential arguments are preserved. Or, if you are looking for assistance with an amicus filing, we have the expertise to properly bring your interest before the court.
Cases We Appeal
Our team of professional litigators has succeeded time and time again in making appeals on behalf of our clients in need.
Areas where we can reexamine your case include:
- Entertainment and sports
- General liability
- Hospitality and restaurant
- Insurance coverage
- Liquor liability
- Product liability
- Professional liability
- Recreational liability
- Sexual abuse litigation
- Toxic torts
- Transportation law
- Workers' comp
Some of our notable cases include:
- American Home Assur. Co. v. First Specialty Ins. Co., 73 Mass.App.Ct. 1 (2008) (trucking coverage)
- Amoah v. McKinney and Smith Transport, 875 F.3d 60 (2017) (trucking accident)
- Carr v. Howard, 426 Mass. 514 (1998) (medical peer review privilege)
- Coombes v. Florio, 450 Mass. 182 (2007) (medical malpractice claim brought by a non-patient)
- Fletcher v. Littleton, 68 Mass.App.Ct. 22 (2007) (wrongful death)
- Global NAPs, Inc. v. Federal Inc. Co., 336 F.3d 59 (2003) (malicious prosecution)
- HipSaver, Inc. v. Kiel, 464 Mass. 517 (2013) (commercial disparagement)
- Juliano v. Simpson, 461 Mass. 527 (2012) (liquor liability, duty of party host)
- LeBlanc v. Logan Hilton Joint Venture, et al., 463 Mass. 316 (2012) and 78 Mass.App.Ct. 699 (2011) (negligence claims against architect and engineer)
- Merrill v. Colbert, 79 Mass.App.Ct. 1124 (2011) (sexual relations between patient and therapist not covered by professional liability policy)
- Mitchell v. Sky Climber, 396 Mass. 629 (1986) (product liability)
- Morrissey v. New England Deaconess Assn., et al., 86 Mass.App.Ct. 1112 (2014) (indemnification under construction contract)
- Nevor v. Moneypenny Holdings, LLC, 842 F.3d 113 (2016) (admiralty)
- Newton v. Krasnigor, 404 Mass. 682 (1989) (intentional act exclusion)
- Panagakos v. Walsh, et al. 434 Mass. 353 (2001) (social host liability, duty to adult guest)
- Speers v. H.P. Hood, Inc., 22 Mass.App.Ct. 598 (1986) (indemnity agreements)
- Utica Mut. Ins. Co. v. Amity Ins. Agency, Inc., 84 Mass.App.Ct. 1111 (2013) (errors and omissions insurance)
- Woodward v. Emulex Corp., 714 F.3d 632 (1st Cir. 2013) (age discrimination)
- Young v. General Star Indem. Co., 84 Mass.App.Ct. 1112 (2013) (claim against insurance broker)
Just because your case was not successful the first time does not mean you do not have options. You can trust our lengthy track record and accomplished litigators.
Your case is not over after a disappointing court decision. Our appellate lawyers can take another look at your case – you may be able to appeal the unfavorable decision.
Nationally-Recognized & Award-Winning Trial Attorneys
Michael R. Byrne
Having begun his career at Melick & Porter over twenty-five years ago, Mike rejoined the firm in 2015 after several years at a national firm specializing in civil litigation defense and insurance coverage matters. Mike has experience in a variety of areas, from professional liability and premises liability claims to business disputes, housing discrimination, and environmental claims.
Robert P. Powers
Bob joined the firm in 1984 after graduating from law school and has made it his professional home. In the years since, he has tried numerous jury cases in both federal and state courts involving a variety of civil matters, including professional malpractice, insurance coverage, and general liability claims. Bob oversees our firm's appellate practice and has successfully argued cases before the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
Holly G. Rogers
Holly Rogers has earned a reputation as a zealous and effective advocate. She practices from our Connecticut Office, which she also manages. Holly has extensive experience in complex litigation matters. She devotes the majority of her practice to representation of clients in employment and professional liability matters. Holly represents clients in both federal and state courts in Connecticut and New York, as well as before federal and state agencies. Holly has arbitrated and mediated numerous claims before the American Arbitration Association and other dispute resolution entities. She has authored articles on a variety of legal topics and has spoken on topics of interest before client groups and legal peers.
William P. Rose
Bill Rose is a graduate of University of Massachusetts and a cum laude graduate of Suffolk University School of Law. He also obtained his C.P.C.U. designation. Bill previously practiced at Morrison, Mahoney & Miller; Gillespie & Associates; the Law Offices of Peter Eleey; and Tucker, Heifetz & Saltzman, LLP. He handles cases in all areas of the firm’s practice.
Syd A. Saloman
Syd is a cum laude graduate of the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth and a cum laude graduate of Suffolk University Law School. During law school, he was the recipient of the Goodwin Scholarship for Best Trial Advocacy. Syd previously practiced at Regan & Kiely LLP and Tucker, Heifetz & Saltzman in Boston.
What Sets Us Apart
Well-Qualified & Accomplished Firm
Nationally Recognized Super Lawyers®
Seasoned Litigators & Appellate Attorneys
High-End Legal Representation
Track Record Of Client Success
Latest Firm News About Appellate Litigation
12 Melick & Porter Attorneys Named to the 2022 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsView Article
- William L. Keville Jr.,
- William D. Chapman,
- Brian C. Davis,
- Robert P. Powers,
- Michael J. Mazurczak,
- John F. Rooney lll,
- Christopher D. George,
- General Liability,
- Employment Litigation,
- Insurance Coverage,
- Appellate Litigation,
- Toxic Torts,
- Product Liability,
- Richard E. Heifetz,
- Christian H. Hinrichsen,
- Jennifer A. Sunderland,
- Lauren K. Camire,
- Rene Pickett
SJC Reaffirming Ruling for Personal Auto Insurer to Provide CoverageView Article
- Insurance Coverage,
- Appellate Litigation,
- Laura K. Terrasi