John F. Rooney, III, who joined the firm in 1986, has successfully tried over 300 cases in both state and federal court. His practice focuses on toxic torts, complex products liability, environmental damage, utility companies, fire and explosion cases, aviation law, contract actions, insurance fraud, sexual abuse matters, premises liability, and criminal law. Prior to joining the firm, John was an Assistant District Attorney in the largest county in Massachusetts where he was a Senior Trial Attorney representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in major felony prosecutions.
He represents numerous Fortune 500 companies in New England, and he leads the firm's Toxic Tort practice, currently representing over 30 companies in asbestos and talc litigation throughout New England. John has considerable experience in defending natural gas utilities in exceptionally complex technological, scientific, and operational matters. He has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer, honored as a Top Lawyer by The Boston Globe, and has been awarded Martindale-Hubbell’s highest AV rating.
As lead defense counsel, John managed all civil litigation related to a series of natural gas explosions in three neighboring Massachusetts towns, including numerous wrongful death and personal injury claims, along with the successful resolution of seven consolidated class action cases.
John has had the privilege of providing numerous client seminars and lectures on a variety of topics, including product liability law, toxic tort law, Chapter 93A, jury trial practice, premises liability, and expert witness presentations.
When away from the office, John is an active participant in local town government for the Town of Southborough where he lives with his wife and two children. He is an avid reader of classic literature and philosophy, a diehard Red Sox fan, and has competed in competitive boxing tournaments since age 10.
- New Hampshire
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, Connecticut
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- New England School of Law, J.D. (1983)
- Suffolk University, B.S., Government, summa cum laude (1979)
Awards and Honors
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer
- New England School of Law Trustee Scholarship
- The American Jurisprudence Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Constitutional Law, Evidence, Antitrust, and Conflict of Laws
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Children's Law Center
- Yale University Mock Trial Competition (Presiding Judge)
- Member Southborough Advisory Committee
- Member Southborough Public Safety Building Committee