Matt focuses his practice on tort defense (including product liability, abuse cases, transportation claims and premises liability matters), business litigation, environmental law, and insurance matters. He has significant experience in the Massachusetts and Connecticut state and federal courts and before administrative agencies and arbitration panels. Matt’s clients have ranged from large corporations and government agencies to start-up companies, small businesses, and individuals. Matt also serves as special counsel to the Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners in applicant investigation and examination proceedings.
After graduating from law school, Matt served as a law clerk to the justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court, first in Springfield and then in Boston and Cambridge as a senior law clerk assigned to more complex civil and criminal litigation matters. He also assisted with the review of first-year law clerks. Before joining Melick & Porter, Matt was an associate at two other Boston litigation firms.
Matt has published several articles and has chaired legal education programs. Matt is involved with local bar associations and has worked on several pro bono and community outreach programs. In 2004, Matt was selected to the Boston Bar Association’s Public Interest Leadership Program. For several years, Matt was named a “Rising Star” in the New England Super Lawyers Publication and he has been named a “Super Lawyer” for the past eight years. His practice has earned him Martindale Hubbell’s highest AV Peer Review Rating. Matt has also served on the board of non-profit organizations, including the Quincy College Trust and the Northeastern University School of Law Alumni Association.
Outside of the office, Matt coaches soccer and hockey and enjoys spending time with his wife and three sons.
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Mohegan Tribe Gaming Disputes Court
- Northeastern University, J.D. (2000)
- Boston College, B.A., Honors Program (1997)
Awards and Honors
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer (2013-2021)
- Massachusetts Rising Star (2007-2012)
- Boston Bar Association's Public Interest Leadership Program (2004-2005)
- Boston Bar Association (Steering Committee Member)
- Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners (Special Counsel)
- City of Boston Mayor’s Youth Council (Advisor/Mentor 2011-2012)
- Harvard Trial Advocacy Workshop (Trial Advisor)
- Massachusetts Trial Courts’ Limited Assistance Representation Program (Qualified Limited Assistance Representation Attorney)
- Northeastern University School of Law Alumni Board of Directors (Member 2006-2008)
- Quincy College Trust, Inc. (Board Member; Clerk 2011-12; Treasurer 2012-2013)